How do I meet with a counselor?
Continuing students can visit us on campus in the Student Services building for quick drop-in counseling during our open business hours or students can schedule an appointment with an academic counselor for long term planning via Starfish.
Note: Appointments book quickly, the next available appointment might be several weeks away.
How to Schedule an Academic Counseling Appointment in Starfish
Returning students who have completed an application for the semester of enrollment contact Academic Counseling Center.
New students need to attend Class Planning.
Transfer-in students need to request transcripts before meeting with an academic counselor. Click here.
Appointment Policy: The Academic Counseling Center is committed to serving all students. In order to do so, appointments with an academic counselor will be limited to no more than two (2) per semester. Failure to cancel in advance via Starfish will count as one of the appointments. If you schedule a same day appointment it will take the place of any future appointments in Starfish for the current semester. If you are more than 10 minutes late, you may be required to reschedule.
What to expect from your appointment:
- You and your counselor will work together to develop a plan that identifies the courses you need to take to reach your academic goals.
Prepare for your appointment by identifying your priorities:
- Major: Have an idea of your major. If you do not, then visit the Career Center first.
- Education Goal: Do you want to earn a certificate, associate degree and/or transfer?
- Transfer: If you want to transfer to a university, where do you want to go? Visit the University Transfer Center.
- Time line: How long do you want to stay at SBCC?
- General Education: Review the different GE patterns: IGETC, CSU and SBCC GE.
- Transcripts: Make sure your official transcripts are on file from any school attended (college and high school). If your records are not on file in your Pipeline account, bring unofficial copies to your counseling session. Please include any AP/IB scores.